background

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Signing

This weekend was something great!! Pretty much everyone knows that Tyler was assigned to learn sign language in the last area of his mission. This last weekend, his ASL teacher and her husband flew to Idaho Falls for Don's dad's funeral. It was really great seeing Anna and Don. Thursday evening we went to Don's mother's house and spent a few hours with them. It was so fun being able to sign again! It's amazing how quickly some of it came back. Anna is deaf, so signing really is the only form of communication! Thank goodness she is so patient with me, because there were several times I had to finger spell the word I wanted to use so she could teach me the sign. By the end of the weekend, I could actually hold a full conversation with her again! Tyler and I made the commitment to Anna that we would use sign a lot  more than we have been. 
Macie fell in love with Anna and Don, which made us feel great! If you know anything about the deaf community, a name sign is an honor to receive. Macie got her very own name sign this weekend. It's the letter M while signing pretty. It suits her quite well! 

My absolute favorite part of this weekend was being able to go to the Idaho Falls temple with them. What a treat to participate in an ASL session! Since the interpreter that usually works wasn't at that particular session, I got to do a little bit of interpreting for one of the sisters so she could understand Anna. Though I'm not really great at it, it was a really spiritual experience for me, and I guarantee that the Lord helped me understand more than I usually do! I can't wait to see them again so we can go do another session with them! 

Don's family is wonderful, too! Tyler and I felt like we fit right in! I'm so grateful for the chance I had this weekend to be able to learn and grow both in sign and spiritually! We definitely can't wait to teach Macie sign, and to continue to use it in our home.


Don, Tyler, me and Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment